Saturday, January 29, 2011

And the days go by...

Over halfway done with Mikveh Alon. The days are going by. This was, in a word, a fast week. I think that's mainly because I am used to the routine of each day. Oh, and of course because we learn Hebrew in a classroom as opposed to basic training activities. But in all seriousness, the daily grind isn't so much a grind anymore. The hardest part of each day is waking up. My "bed" sags and I feel the metal bar of the frame digging into my back as I lay in my sleeping bag. By time I wake up in the morning, my body aches and it often takes a while to loosen up. But we get dressed, brush up, shine our shoes, shave, report outside before the sun rises, and then clean our rooms.

Breakfast is always roughly around 7:30 in the morning. After that, often the morning is a crapshoot. For example, as I mentioned last week, one day the entire base gathered for observance of Tu Bishvat; another day we go straight to our classrooms to learn Hebrew; oftentimes we now gather as a machlekah to raise the flag and sing Hatikvah, the Israeli national anthem.

Our base is situated on a hill and it shares the area with supply depots for the army. One of these is an area lined with armored vehicles....at least we're almost positive they are armored vehicles but not certain because they're under tarps. One morning my machlekah went to this open area (the same location where we used the lasers for our rifles a few weeks back) and they demonstrated one of these vehicles. The driver drove around, picked up speed, made tight turns, climbed embankments. Someone mentioned that the vehicle is called a "Scorpion" in the US military, but that has not been either confirmed or denied. After ten minutes, the driver stopped and half of us went to check out the vehicle as he explained what it's used for, how many soldiers it seats, how many operators, etc. All I can say is, especially being over six feet, it does not look comfortable to sit in it, even as a transport. And add to that the sharp turns the caterpillar tracks can make and the jolting of the vehicle every time it hits a depression or embankment; needless to say, it would not make for a comfortable ride. But all in all, it was pretty cool.

They also had a few heavy guns on display, which they talked about, but didn't demonstrate. These guns were likely ones attached to tanks or other armored vehicles. They also had a sniper rifle. This was, I think, all thanks to the artillery unit that was spending the week on our base. Remember that's what I am likely able to join because of my profile.

But I am still considering Tzanchanim (Paratroopers). Truth be told, the initial glamour that came with thinking about the red boots and red beret, of being a paratrooper, wore off quickly this week. I admit I am starting to think critically about whether or not I want to try out for this elite unit. Can my body handle it? I'm 23, not old (at least in the real world), but certainly four or five years older than the Israeli soldiers. Do I want to put myself through a more rigorous basic training and service time? I'm not Rambo. I don't even know if I have what it takes inside to push myself to that higher level. Fortunately, when I come back to Tel Aviv on weekends, and just sit on the couch and watch TV, have a few (or more) beers, and check up on current events (as far as I am concerned, the world outside the base doesn't exist during the week), I become reinvigorated and excited to be a part of Israel's military. I have become lulled into a false sense of ease and sometimes become lackadaisical about my service while at Mikveh Alon. Life isn't hard. It's even becoming easier. I don't even consider it the "actual" IDF. It's still service time, but it's not with Israelis and we're learning Hebrew in a classroom! I might as well be back at Champaign! Anyway, I have friends who were in Tzanchanim and will learn more about what's in store for me if I decide to take the gibbush.

Anyway, we always have at least an hour or two of Hebrew before lunch, which is around 12:30. Then we often return to the classroom for four to five hours. One major part of our lives now is Tzionut, Zionism. My mefakedet spends about an hour a day with us going over the history of Israel, starting with the aliyahs of the 19th century. I have a confession here: I don't like Tzionut. Don't get me wrong though; I consider myself a Zionist, and a strong one at that (as if you couldn't tell that already). And I love learning about Israel, Jews, and our history. However, Tzionut often comes right before dinner or right before we have our break in the evening, and the concepts being discussed are very important and not understanding the language makes understanding them even more difficult. Personally, I've studied a lot of this and know exactly what the mefakedet is saying. But it also takes away from learning Hebrew.

However, on Wednesday, for our Tzionut, our mefakedet brought us to a classroom that had been converted into a pseudo-Holocaust museum, with a paper railroad taped the floor, candles lighting up the tracks, and pictures on the walls. We all sat down and she asked each of us how we felt. In my improved Hebrew, I mentioned how I had family who didn't make it through the war. Namely four of my grandmother's siblings (the fifth sibling is David's grandfather, remember?). I also said that it's good to be reminded of the Holocaust, to see pictures, because it reminds me of why I am in the IDF and it empowers me. (Also, Thursday was International Holocaust Remembrance Day.)

Each week of course Ivrit has a theme. Last week was Israeli music and this past week was the IDF. We learned about military terms, slang, and other phrases that will help us in the future. Next week is about important figures. And next week is a very good week. I report to base as usual tomorrow, but we go home Wednesday afternoon because Thursday is Yom Siddurim, a day for lone soldiers to take care of personal things. It's nice because the following week we'll be on base for nearly two straight weeks as my machlekah stays the weekend for guard duty.

I've written a lot more than I thought I could about this rather uneventful and quick week. One final thing: Egypt. It appears as if the government is going to be overthrown and President Hosni Mubarak will step down. Nothing certain yet, though. But there has been rioting for days now and the situation as reached a fever pitch. What does it mean for Israel? Many of the articles I have read do not point to a bright future. Mubarak has been in power ever since Anwar Sadat was assassinated for signing a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. The leaders and their backers of these riots do not have the nicest things to say about Israel. Some people think the peace treaty is doomed. While it's a great thing to see people trying to overthrow a dictatorial government (like in Tunisia the other week), the situation in Egypt does not mean good things for Israel.

As usual, thanks for reading. If anyone wants to hear more about any particular thing, just let leave a comment and I'll work it into the next post.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, appreciate the blog as someone considering Mahal service. I'm in a similar situation with eyesight potentially bringing my profile from 90+ to, I believe you wrote, a maximum of 72. First I heard about that was here and I'm contacting the IDF now, well before my possible December induction. Reading nhlonesoldier.wordpress.com it seems that a minimum profile of 82 is required for infantry (Nahal), let alone participation in the trials for any special divisions (paratrooper). Do you have any knowledge of this? If not I thought you'd be interested in knowing. Apparently it's possible to get a waiver for eyesight from an IDF physician...it also seems that whether you wear contact lenses or glasses has something to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daniel, it's Brian. I just wanted to let you know we're all back here pulling for your safe return and although it's not for my country, you're doing good work over there. Also, the Warriors are now 5-0 this session and we already took the Ice Hawks down i think 6-2. See you when you get home.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fox- Yeah, at my tzav rishon, they said that if your eyesight is below a -6.00, then it automatically goes down to 72, but there are certainly soldiers with less than perfect eyesight who have a 97 profile. After contacting officers who may be able to help me with my profile, it seems that infantry is likely not possible. But, this is Israel, and they hardly always go by the book. If you press enough, you can often get what you want. I've also heard that the only unit in infantry you can get into is a mixed one with girls. After your tzav rishon you can still get your profile changed. A buddy of mine went to the doctor the other week and they said he had a 72 because supposedly he had asthma. I'm going to go this week to try and get my profile raised too.

    ReplyDelete