Saturday, January 7, 2012

LA to Vegas to Chicago to Israel

The Flesch siblings, pre-Vegas
Ohhh man has my body never felt this way before!  Forget a year in the IDF!   Forget weeks in the field running around with a machine gun; forget fifteen hour, sixty kilometer hikes; forget crawling hundreds of meters up thorny hills for a meal; forget all of it!  My body never felt as it did after ten days with my brother and sister in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.  We wanted to have the best trip--epic, if you will--siblings could have, and boy did we succeed!

Ever since my sister moved out to LA after she graduated from college three years ago, my brother and I have been fortunate enough to visit her about once a year.  I last saw Kimberly the October before I left for Israel, about fourteen months ago.  Now, Eric and I flew to LA two days before Christmas to spend some quality bonding time with her before the three of us drove to Vegas.  As we had been to LA numerous times, we didn't need to see all the sights LA has to offer.  We made sure to spend a few hours on Venice Beach; we stopped at a bar and enjoyed a few pitchers even while still nursing a hangover.  It's always fun to people-watch there.  We walked around, enjoyed the sunset, and had a time of good 'ol fashion fun! We spent Christmas at the movies, enjoying a couple of flicks, including "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."  The next day, we left for Vegas.

Now allow me to pause a moment and insert a qualifying statement: I think I am a good-guy, lead a healthy and sensible lifestyle, and am a law-abiding individual, or at least to the extent that a young twenty-something year-old can be.  Therefore, it is with great concern for my and my siblings' reputations that I must say, truly, what happened in Vegas will stay in Vegas.  There was also plenty of good, clean fun to be had in Sin City: we went on a roller coaster, walked into shops, toured the Strip, etc.  Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to divulge anything further.  I apologize and hopefully have not lost your trust forever.

The Flesch siblings, Vegas
But we must press on...

Eric and I arrived back in Chicago on Monday and I was to fly out again on early Thursday.  The last seventy-two hours went by fast, although I accomplished much.  I went to the city Tuesday evening and had dinner with Kaitlin, then met up with some drinks with my college roommate Shane, and lifelong buddies Eric and Brian.  The next day, my brother Eric and I met up with our grandmother for lunch, then went back to her condo and she invited over some of her girlfriends who have been reading this blog.  My own private fan club.  I know you're reading this, so, hello ladies!

We then picked up some last-minute clothing items I needed, went back home and I packed my suitcases.  I spent an enjoyable dinner at home, had some beers with my brother in the evening then went to bed.  Only to wake up a the five o'clock hour, be at O'Hare for an 8:30 flight to Toronto, lay over for six hours, then a 6pm flight to Tel Aviv.  I took a cab to David and Amy's apartment, which is where I am now, sitting at their kitchen table, typing this post.

When I was in the States, it was a great relief to be able to speak in English all the time.  But there were definitely times when I would accidentally drop into Hebrew.  For simple phrases, such as "please" and "thank you," I would bust out the Hebrew words, catch myself, then try and say the English before the moment passed.  The final result was the person I was addressing thinking I was a stammering idiot.

Also, I wish I had a few more days at home after returning from out west.  The hours flew by and I rarely had a chance to catch a breath and take it all in.  As it turns out, I never had a day to myself where I would just sit on the couch and watch television and movies all day as I had hoped.  I spent a lot of time before LA/Vegas shopping around, enjoying being out among people, and kicking it with my brother and friends. But I should have set aside at least six hours to do nothing but sit and stare.

I already talked to Adam, lone soldier from New Jersey, on the phone yesterday.  He arrived in Israel a couple of days ago and said that we are leaving Shchem on Wednesday.  A lot will be happening in the next week or two.  The entire Tzanchanim brigade is starting winter training.  I may be going to Sniper Course.  I'm trying to readjust to being here.  This evening, after Shabbat, I'm going to go to my apartment in Jerusalem to unpack everything, then get ready for the last stretch of my service.

(A "The Flesch siblings, post-Vegas" picture is unavailable.)

1 comment:


  1. Thank you for your interesting and informative blog. I have enjoyed reading it and appreciate the work you have put into it. Here is some relevant information for you to review .
    army vest sets

    ReplyDelete